"Let's Find Something Fancy"

The neighborhood little girl posse is all at our house today - shopping the yard sale my sixteen year old daughter and her good friend from down the street decided this past Monday that they wanted to do.


My daughter and her friend are are hawking their Beanie Babies, furry purses with stuffed dogs in them, hoodies, and of course costume jewelry. SO many bobbles and bangles.

The quote of the day so far was from a little girl down the street who came by with her three sisters. She walked into our driveway, threw her arms up, and declared to her posse, "Let's find something fancy!" That's when I knew they were going to drop some serious quarters. ;) You have to adore and even admire the verve for life that little kids have. That moment alone made this project worth it for me as the overly busy adult who reluctantly consented to having a sale at all. Sometimes you need reminders about simple, silly, happy feelings and to let that sass out with abandon.


My daughter and her friend have already made enough with their morning rush that they feel the sale was a worthwhile project. So they are happy too. 


In the meantime, I'm meeting a lot of neighbors. So far, twenty-five people and four dogs have stopped by within the first hour and a half. I let the girls use my real estate A-board, and they also plastered the nearby street corners with their own hand-painted signs. We let all of Squak Mountain know about the sale on the fantastic neighborhood social site, NextDoor, and our street in particular so they too could take advantage my daughter's sign-hanging legwork and more easily hold their own sale. 




"We got so many stuffs!" This was the final declaration of the little neighbor girl as she and her sisters skipped away with a pile of goodies. She was particularly happy that she found a Seahawks scarf for her dad who had given the girls each a pile of change and some singles and told them to go have fun visiting the sale. I personally think that's some serious Saturday morning parenting genius. I hope he's enjoying a quiet cup of coffee.


This morning as I pulled stuff out of the house and garage to sell, I found a lot of sports equipment from over the years: baseball, softball, basketball, volleyball, skiing, and snowboarding gear. Had a little trip down memory lane. When I came across my son's and daughter's first mitts, my daughter refused to let those go in the sale pile. So we're hanging onto those mini gloves for a while longer. It's funny what we want to hold onto and how hard it is sometimes to let go of things.

We have a great neighborhood. It's down-to-earth and diverse, and the people are just nice. I've loved raising a family here. I also love that my kids can walk into downtown Issaquah with friends in just a few minutes from our street. I love that we're on a mountain, in the middle of the three "Issaquah Alps." I picked this neighborhood for those very specific reasons when I shopped for a house. It's a good life here. 

My son and his friend, Jared made a video for me a couple weeks ago about Squak Mountain. Hope you enjoy getting a glimpse into my mountainside neighborhood, particularly the birds-eye vantage point at the end. The natural beauty here is hard to capture in just words. Have a great weekend everyone!





#BeginSomedayToday 
Call | Txt: 425-246-9456
Email: christinahyun@johnlscott.com

Comments

Popular Posts