Date Night + Alki Beach

For date night this week, we ventured over to one of our favorite parts of Seattle: Alki Beach. This was one of the first areas we explored when we moved to Washington.

We got to see the reddest sunset we've seen in a long while. The smoke from the fires up north in B.C. are apparently the cause of this.


For dinner we decided to try the new Cajun place, B's Po Boy. Ray got a beer, and I got this: Brandy Milk Punch. It's brandy, house crème, simple syrup, and vanilla extract, and it was a beautiful drink. I'm just going to say right now that if I ever became dairy-intolerant, I would be one very, very sad girl. Because cream. And aged cheddar. And cold, cold milk. Ok anyway, my drink was a winner. 


For food, I ordered a bowl of the gumbo which I really liked because of how much okra they piled into it. I love gumbo for the okra more than any other ingredient. Any maybe that's not how you're supposed to prioritize gumbo ingredients, but I don't really care. The okra always makes it or breaks it for me. I just want a lot of it, partly because it's never on menus around here. 


I will now go on for a bit about the bread. I've never been to New Orleans, but Ray said the bread is just like all the bread that's everywhere down there. Turns out the owners have it shipped from NOLA, so there you go if you're craving the real deal. 

Ray ordered the full sized fried shrimp po boy sandwich. The waitress asked if he liked spicy food and he said yes. She recommended getting the remoulade sauce on it, so he did. And it was delish. A really nice combination and just right spiciness. I mean just look at this...speaks for itself. 


Dessert: We were too stuffed. 

(Although if someone handed me another bowl of just-okra-only gumbo, I would've pounded it because I know I won't see it anywhere for a while. I'll tell you a little secret about me. Ready? I have an unusually long stomach. I had a doctor tell me so. I'm not making it up. Everyone who knew me in college was shocked at how much I could eat. It was known "Christina could eat with the big boys" - not exactly every girl's dream to be widely known for this, but hey, it was what it was. Now I only wish I could still eat that way. I mean technically I *could*, but I would be 400 lbs in a few months. So my stomach never feels totally full anymore. Like all of Japan I'm told who are supposedly raised to only eat to 80% capacity. For health. And civility. And probably because they don't have extra long, never full stomachs to torture them. Can someone confirm that little 80% factoid by the way? I've heard it and read it, but I don't really know if it's one of those inaccuracies that someone made up because they were bored in their parents' basement one summer and decided to start up a fake Wiki page.)

After dinner, and no dessert, we walked so Ray could feel satisfied he got to his goal of 10,000 steps. A while back he and our neighbor were having a step contest. But the neighbor is a construction guy and Ray has much more of a desk job. So the neighbor was always winning the beer prize. So maybe Ray isn't doing that anymore. I didn't ask. I just walked. It was such a perfect weather night. A lot of people and their dogs were outside late. And Elderly Roller Blader Guy. With his many, many mini orange cones he was weaving in and out of. 

The many bonfires up and down the beach burned way past sundown. It was a pretty sight. It made me want to start organizing an evening party down there for some August night coming up. Beaches and bonfires and Seattle go really well together. I love being on a beach with a wood fire as the sun goes down when it's still warm enough for shorts, but a hoodie on top also feels right. Here in Seattle, we have plenty of nights like that in the summertime. It's really kind of summer-perfect and perfect for impromptu parties.




#BeginSomedayToday 
Call | Txt: 425-246-9456
Email: christinahyun@johnlscott.com



Comments

Popular Posts